View my LinkedIn® Profile
Since beginning my legal consulting practice in 2001, I have helped law firms win more than $420 million in new business while developing profitable new markets in Canada and abroad.
My background includes working with a wide range of law firms - global, national, mid-size and boutique - both as a consultant, and in-house as Director of Marketing and Client Development.
As a legal consultant, I have:
- Provided strategy, plans, and budgets then executed a first-ever Canadian national advertising campaign to build brand awareness for a global professional services firm. The 2012-2013 campaign comprised prominent billboards at major market airports, elevator digital ads, a wall mural in the business concourse beneath head office, and print and online vehicles.
- Determined strategy, plans, and budgets then executed two high profile advertising campaigns in Canada, the United States, and South America to build brand awareness for an international firm entering North and South American markets by joining with a national Canadian firm in June 2011 and a western-based Canadian firm with international offices in January 2012. The result is one of the five largest global law firms. Tactics included prominent billboards at key airports, digital displays and signage at major arenas, elevator and digital media wall ads in select office towers, and print and online vehicles.
- Guided three law firm mergers in three years - an International and a western-based Canadian firm in 2012; an International and a national Canadian firm in 2011; and, two regional Canadian firms in 2009.
- Helped law firms develop and implement new client and legal business development strategies resulting in increased revenue and higher profile in targeted geographic and industry markets.
- Designed and conducted legal client satisfaction surveys resulting in increased firm loyalty and new work.
- Assisted with law firm brand development leading to heightened market profile.
- Created, revamped and/or completely overhauled numerous law firm websites, one of which was named 2009 Best Law Firm Website in Canada and won silver in the corporate communications category at the 2010 W³ awards.
- Developed unique law firm-branded marketing materials, such as modular proposal templates for RFP responses and pitches, as well as presentations, brochures, client communications and ads.
- Created law marketing communications vehicles and materials, including websites, annual reviews, and editorial and advertising content.
- Realigned firm positioning to capitalize on unique points of difference, support key revenue-generating practice areas, and create deeper target market penetration.
- Provided interim law marketing management.
- Restructured law firm budgets to provide cost recovery.
- Restructured and redirected law firm marketing teams, and developed and implemented new operating procedures.
- Conducted business development training and coaching for lawyers in preparation for new business pitches.
- Provided business development and market exposure assessments and tools for established and fledging firms as well as sole practitioners.
- Developed proactive media relations initiatives, and provided media relations training for law firms and individual lawyers.
- Facilitated law marketing workshops, led CPD-accredited sessions, and presented at annual retreats.
- Written opinion-based marketing columns for legal publications and online magazines, and conducted seminars at legal conferences.
As Director of Marketing and Client Development, some of my accomplishments included:
- Developing an analytic competitive intelligence process to focus on key legal clients by practice area, industry, and geographic markets, which led to cross-selling programs and new business-winning strategies.
- Creation of a legal client satisfaction and recognition program as a result of conducting client surveys.
- Law firm rebranding using client-targeted ad campaigns, marketing collateral, and events as well as leveraging firm and practice area-supporting sponsorships, website presence, and media relations.
- Coaching lawyers and legal teams in preparation for new business pitches and interviews, and developing of personal marketing tools for each practitioner.
- Assisting with the opening of two new offices, creation of a new industry-focused practice group and increasing the law firm‘s profile in the US, Europe and Asia.
Selected Client Testimonials:
“Heather was retained by Siskinds for two projects: a successful business development training pilot program for junior associates; and, the reorganization and drafting of all our primary website content, including practice descriptions for our recent site redesign. Heather's insight and experience allowed her to easily recognize and adapt her approach to meet the business objectives for each project as well as the marketing and business development needs that fit our Firm's culture. Heather is simply delightful and a pleasure to work with.”
Top qualities: Personable, Expert, High Integrity
Laurie Hause, Director of Technology & Marketing, Siskinds LLP
“Heather was retained for several projects including the complete overhaul of our firm website and student micro site.
The primary site was named Best Law Firm Website in Canada by National magazine, the official periodical of the Canadian
Bar Association. Heather managed both projects extremely well. She was also retained to create our modular proposal templates,
pitch strategies and collaterals. She worked on numerous client pitches and RFPs, development of ads, internal newsletter and annual reports. Heather possesses excellent business development and marketing skills and is a delight to work with. Lawyers and marketing professionals enjoyed working with her.”
Top qualities: Great Results, High Integrity, Creative
Lise Monette, Chief Marketing Officer, Ogilvy Renault LLP
“Heather helped with clarifying our value proposition, with the redevelopment of our website,
and with preparations for meetings with potential clients. Heather’s enthusiastic and friendly
manner makes her a pleasure to work with. Her keen understanding of the market we are targeting and
the environment in which we work was very valuable.”
Top qualities: Personable, Expert, High Integrity
Miriam Paton, Co-founder and Principal, Integral IP
See Full Resume